Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 22:12:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SAMBA trouble 2.0.8 ->> 2.2.0

Dear Sirs.

Well, I know this is not subject of FreeBSD, but  hope someone has done
several upgrades and stepped over the same problem.

Due the problem with the security whole in SAMBA 2.0.8 I decided to come up
with SAMBA 2.2.0 and took the whole configuration over with minor
corrections.

We use here several FreeBSD-UNIX based shares for Windows clients. One
of them is "SCRATCH" as an example. It should be accessible only by those
who are in the SAMBA and/or UNIX passowrd file/passwd system. I realized
this prior by putting a line 'valid users = %U' into smb.conf. But this does not
work anymore in SAMBA 2.2.0. User authentication by 'homes' still works as
expected, but all other shares based on a common use basis do not :-(

If I remove this user's specification in smb.conf other users in the
domain (we use a harsh kind of 'melting pot' of several domains here,
domains differented by names, but not by IP address space ... idiots at
work ...) could access the share.

FreeBSD assigns unluckily all users the same group ID as this is identical
to their UID. This is a security benefit - but in some cases this could be a
disadvantage, like SAMBA.

Does anyone has a solution for this problem?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)