Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 15:33:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Poof, hard drive wiped clean...

One of our 2.1-R machines was backing up an nfs-mounted filesystem
to a 4mm tape when poof, the system panicked, spewed something about
/ being mangled, rebooted, and never came back. Booting the machine
up gives the familiar "Non-system disk..." error.

Inserting a DOS boot floppy and running fdisk reveals... nothing!
(0% usage on the drive.) Looks like the partition information got
wiped clean. Hmm, how could this be ? Hardware failure ? Sounds
unlikely. I'll run diagnostics on the drive later tonight.

The system is a Compaq Proliant 2000 Server (Pentium), running
FreeBSD 2.1-Release. The drive which got wiped was sd0 (one of
those Compaq hot-pluggable drives, 1gb) off an Adaptec 174x
(EISA). The machine is our news server, and has 64mb RAM on
it.

Any ideas ? I'm going to simply repartition and reinstall
FreeBSD on it, but I'm worried this will happen again.

Thanks for any hints,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;