Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:53:15 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A peculiar port; advice requested ...

Joseph Koshy wrote:

> Quirks:
>
> 1. While the official master site uses a ".tar.Z" suffix for most files,
>    some of the mirrors use ".tar.gz" instead.

Both use the same extract command (tar -xzf), so don't worry about the extension
and write the complete list of tarballs in DISTFILES=.

> 2. The install process involves a recompilation of (a) the runtime system
>    and (b) the SML/NJ standard libraries.  The default installation
>    process expects to do this `in-place' in the final installation
>    directory tree.
>
>    I'm somehow not comfortable with a compilation under /usr/local as
>    part of `make'; however is it acceptable?  Does any other port do
>    anything similar?

Scilab does something like this, if I were doing it , I'd try a symlink in
/usr/local, but I think Scilab changes some scripts..I'm not sure.

> 3. Is creating a new hierarchy root say "${PREFIX}/sml-nj" ok?  The default
>    installation expects "bin", "bin.${ARCH}", "lib"  etc. under
>    this `ROOT'.  Changing the installation to confirm to a more
>    conventional "/usr/local/*/" structure would make a FreeBSD SML/NJ
>    installation different from the other unix installations.  Do
>    we have a strict policy on directory hierarchies?

If it's unavoidable you can use $(PREFIX)/sml-nj, but if there's only one
executable you should try $(PREFIX)/lib/sml-nj and add a link or a script.

Hope that helps,

    Pedro.