Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 17:46:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Rice <marice@email.msn.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install problems on Dell XPS R400

On Mon, 25 May 1998 at  0:13:03 -0600, Michael Rice wrote:
> I have just purchased a Dell 400MHz Pentium II system and I can't get FBSD
> 2.6.2 to install.
>
> The following lists the hardware installed:
>
> 400MHz Pentium II
> 128MB RAM
> 6.4GB Ultra-ATA IDE hard disk (Master on primary IDE)
> NEC 32X CD-ROM (Master on secondary IDE)
> Adaptec 2940 SCSI II PCI controller (no devices attached)
> Diamond Fire GL video w/ 8MB
> Montego Turtle Beach audio
> 2 Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ Ethernet PCI cards
> Microsoft InteliMouse (PS/2 interface)
>
> I am trying to install from the Walnut Creek CD.  I do the following:
>
> 1. Boot from FBSD 2.6.2 floppy
> 2. Select the full screen setup
> 3. Remove all unnecessary devices
>     BTW, I can't find a driver for a NEC CD-ROM or the Intel
>     Ethernet cards

There's no special driver for the CD-ROM.  The Intel boards should be
there.

> 4. Select 'Q' to quit and save
>
> When I Quit and save the setup, it spins the floppy for about 30 seconds,
> accesses it a couple of times, clears the screen, and then locks up.
> Thinking that maybe it was timing out on a bunch of devices, I let it sit
> for about 30 minutes on the blank screen, but it never progressed any
> further.
>
> Any ideas?

Looks like something has gone wrong.  Have you ever had any other
operating system running on the machine?

I'd suggest that you

1.  Try to boot from the CD-ROM.  There should be a BIOS setup option
    for that.  If you can't, boot from floppy again.
2.  Don't change anything in the setup menu.  It should at least find
    your disks and get you into the installation menu proper (which is
    in colour).

If that works, then you can probably refine things.  If not, we need
to scratch our heads again.

Greg