Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:35:13 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@mail.cadvision.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@gerpa.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMWare for FreeBSD?

Artem Koutchine wrote:

> [snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip]
>
> Well, Let me make this clear. IMHO
> Server OS MUST
> 1) BE Reliable
> 2) Comply to all aplicable standards
>
> Workstation MUST
> 1) BE VERSATILE

I find FreeBSD very versatile, not that I like to be disagreeable, but I
find it possible to do almost anything with FreeBSD.  The only thing
that I have not found yet is software to replace frontpage, and
accounting software that I have fallen in love with.

> 2) be reliable
>
> At least, that is what i need from a server and
> from a workstation. As a server FreeBSD is absolitely
> GREAT, but as a workstation it is not enough versatile.
> It is a problem not only for FreeBSD, but for all Un*x systems,
> however, it is clear to me that Linux is MORE versatile, but LESS
> reliable. Again, because of the original support from software
> creators.
>
> You say, that you have happily "ported" a buch of user to FreeBSD.
> Well, i am glad to hear that, but it is hardly possible for me. I still
> need Windows  because
>     1) I need adobe photoshop (not GIMP, i need PHOTOSHOP, besides,
>         wile working in KDE loading the libs for GIMP and the loading
>         the libs for Netscape is just a waste of memory).
>     2) I need ulead web and graphics utilities
>     3) I need Microsoft office (yes, i just need it, because the people i work
>         with use it and i must stay compatible)

Have you looked at Staroffice?  I very recently submitted a port for it.

>     4) Sometimes I like to play games, i kinda start to get bored playing
>         games in VICE and XZX :)

You can play doom.:)  There are other games that work I have heard but I
don't know which ones.

>     5) Sometimes i need normal russian language support (ispell is
>         pityful)
>
> If i had the same package for FreeBSD i will gladly format all my HDDs with
> Winbloze, but i hardly have a choice.
>
> Well, basically what i am saying is that FreeBSD still has a long way to go
> be become a good workstation for anyone. Mostly because amount of
> workstation software made for FreeBSD or which ported fort FreeBSD is
> not very impressive comparing to software made for Win/Mac and it is
> even less comparing to Linux.

The ONLY thing that I use windoze for is Frontpage.  And no, my computer
is not used as a server, I use it as a workstation.