Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:04:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Calvin Meloon <calvin@corp.gulf.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: extra email accounts

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Calvin Meloon wrote:

> Here's the scenario. Our isp offers 2 extra email accounts for each
> customer who subscribes with us. Lately, we've noticed that some have been
> dialing up with their second email account (I believe they are giving the
> name and password out to friends or what not).
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to prevent the extra accounts to be used for
> dialup and still allow the user to pop their mail the same way they can
> from their main account.
>
> I thought of using the radius user file and just add a bogus password,
> thus allowing them to retrieve mail, but not be able to dial in. This,
> however seems kind of awkward and tedious.
>
> Anyone ideas?

We just place an expiration check item in the email only account line

username	Auth-Type = System, Expiration = "Oct 05 1995"

This forces them to login via the "parent" account which has
simultaneous-use restrictions on it to reduce the abuse potential
of this situation. We also find that, generally, greater use
is incurred with these type of accounts so we charge for additional
email accounts. Why give it away for free?

FYI because someone might ask, the Expiration date is historically
significant when we started using RADIUS and quit messing with
user passwords on the terminal servers.