Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:06:23 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recovering data from a truncated vn-file possible?

Josh Brooks wrote:
> Long story short, I have a 4gig vn-backed filesystem.  The file backing it
> is now missing the last 750megs ... I can vnconfig it, but when I fsck it
> I see:

Probably the first thing you'll want to do is write a small program
to open the file and write a zero at the offset of the 750M to make
the "device" the right size.  Most of the recovery tools, including
fsck, go into convulsions if the device size shrinks on them.  So the
first thing you want to do is change the size back to what it should
be.

-- Terry