Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:37:05 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Observations on make release process?

  Is this as good a list as any for observations on the FreeBSD "make
release" process?  I can't see any other list that fits the subject.

  I have some observations fairly fresh in my mind from trying to build
a version of FreeBSD 4.8.12 with the IBM Propolice anti-stack-smash
patch.  This was intended as a quick prelude to trying to build our own
internal release with a reduced set of base binaries, different
packages available on CD for install, etc.  However, I certainly ran
into more pitfalls than I expected along the way, and a lot less detail
and more handwaving than I expected in the docs I could find.

  I'm hoping I can usefully lay a few of the pitfalls or issues out for
future reference by others, and for correction by those who are more
knowledgeable than I.

  -- Clifton

--
          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect