Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:43:22 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        lowell@be-well.ilk.org, ciscoaix@yahoo.com
Subject:   RE: DHCPD config

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

Your saying that dhcp client has no built in way to
communicate to dhcpd the dns ip address it receives
at boot time or during the normal lease update process?

That your suggesting the work around is to customize the
dhclient-script code at the point where it determines the
/etc/resolv.conf file gets deleted and re-written with the
new dns ip address info, by adding code to parse into
the dhcpd.conf file replacing the option line for
dns ip addresses with the new ip address?

Well I looked at that script code and it's way above my
ability to write script code at that level.

The other suggestion of adding my own LAN DNS server
is over kill because my LAN just has 2 pc's on it and
the only purpose of the LAN is to share a single
dynamic IP address from my ISP.

There must be a lot of other people in the same boat as I
am who have all ready customized the dhclient-script or
more properly the /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks file to
edit the dhcpd.conf file with the correct DNS ip address.

Do you know of any web sites that contain dhcp scripts?

Kris Anderson <ciscoaix@yahoo.com> writes:

> I think the answer you are looking for lies in
> dhclient-script. I noticed it futzes with resolv.conf.
> If you happen to notice resolv.conf changing (You can
> test this about by making a backup of resolv.conf,
> erasing its contents and then rebooting the machine,
> just for the sake of everything running properly and
> seeing if the contents of resolv.conf get repopulated
> with your ISPs DNS settings) then you can create a
> script to grab the elements needed from the ISP and
> drop them in to a file for dhcpd to read and then
> SIGTERM dhcpd and restart it.

Basically, "have dhclient-script rewrite the dhcpd.conf".

Running your own nameserver and pointing the internal DHCP clients
it is another option, but slightly less resistant to failures.
Doing
both will get you the best of both worlds.