Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:11:54 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, matt@3am-software.com
Subject:   Re: Network concurrency problems!?

> > Also, if you expect a PPro-200 to saturate 4 100 Mbps links, I think you
> > are a wee bit optimistic. (One link, no problem.)
>
>   Why?  As long as the ethernet hw is fast, is should be no problem.

It's a problem because of the resource usage of the TCP/IP stack and the
driver.

The FreeBSD TCP/IP stack is good, but it's not the most efficient. As far
as I know, there is still an extra pass over the data to perform the TCP
checksum, for instance.

> can run 2 FW SCSI channels saturated (2 x 20MB/s * 8 = 320mbs), and the
> system isn't even working too hard yet.  Certainly, full-duplex
> connections double the total possible bandwidth (4 x 100 x 2 = 800mbs),
> but most servers are mainly outbound.
>
>   However, I really doubt whether most ethernet adapters offload enough
> functions from the main CPU.  The trend is to make very stupid
> controllers, which are slaved to the CPU for everything.

There has been a good deal of debate on whether offloading is really the
best idea for network protocol implementations. A lot of people have tried
it, and a lot of people have failed.  If you look at Van Jacobson't work
you'll find him arguing in the opposite direction: A "stupid" (in reality:
simple and efficient) controller, and a very efficient protocol stack
implementation.

See http://ee.lbl.gov/nrg-talks.html, in particular

	"Some Design Issues for High-speed Networks"
and	"Design Changes to the Kernel Network Architecture for 4.4BSD"

Also "The Witless Interface", presented at the 1991 Gigabit Workshop.