Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 10:18:03 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and Routing Problems

On Sat, Jan 03, 1998 at 09:47:03PM +0800, Jason McKay wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> No we are doing the routing, we have a C class address of 203.25.160.x ..
> All our machines attached to our LAN are using addresses from that pool.
> PPP clients are also given an address from our pool.

Are you using packet filtering with user-mode ppp (dfilter)?
Are the ppp clients on the same subnet as the local users that work?
Does `arp -a' report the ppp client's permanent published proxy?
Does `sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding' return `net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1'?
Is IP_FIREWALL enabled in your kernel?
Are you running routed?
What version (release date) of user-mode ppp are you running?
Are you sure the FreeBSD box isn't forwarding the packets? Perhaps
  a ppp client can run traceroute (or TRACERT) to your router to
  see whether the packets are forwarded. Can you `tcpdump' the
  ppp client during this activity?

How about publishing the following?

netstat -rn
arp -a
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf (with password stuff changed)
a simple network drawing (ppp client, FreeBSD box, and router)
  showing the IP addresses and netmasks

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.