Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:13:35 +0200
From:      heikki soerum <heikkis@student.matnat.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   request/petition/question about the Gatos project.

I was wondering if the Gatos project at sourceforge.net could be ported
to Freebsd? http://gatos.sourceforge.net/, Or if there allready are some equvalent
allready portet to freebsd.

The Gatos project creates drivers and software for the ATI all in wonder(AIW)
series, and on their homepage they claim that only some slight modifications
would give basic support on freebsd in adition to linux.

http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwradeon8500dv/index.html <-- Newest AIW
http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwpro/index.html <-- Oldest AIW

The ati.2 XFree driver:
http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ati.2.php
Probably works without any fbsd modifications, at least it hasn't crashed
my X yet. (Knock on wood)

The avview utility:
http://gatos.sourceforge.net/avview.php
This is the most important utility, if this and the ati.2 Xfree driver
work it would give basic support for the ATI all in wonder series in FreeBSD.

In adition the avview utility requires:
ffmpeg >0.4.5 (0.4.6 available on cvs at sourceforge.net)
video4linux support... could Fbsd linux emulation work with
video4linux kernel modules?

Please help, someone?
I'd like to get rid of my VCR and TV ;)
I would of course be willing to gi what help I can to anyone willing to
try make this work.
(heck, If I could program *anything* I'd do it myself... But I'm grosly
incompetent when it comes to programming.)

Sincerly yours, Heikki Soerum.

---
IXian probe/3D
"Emphasizing a lifestyle based on consumption is the ultimate
violence against poor countries." -Motoko Kusanagi in GITS
email: h e i k k i s @ifi.uio.no <-- remove spaces