Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:45:52 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running processes...

--Boundary-02=_MDlLAlZ9ce68zw5

On Saturday 14 February 2004 10:26 am, JJB wrote:
> This port map is only showing you what ports are open to accept
> start requests from the public internet. Looks like you are using
> IPFW with stateless rules which just provides an  very basic level
> of security. Use stateful rules with 'out' and 'via' keywords to
> separate your firewall into out bound control where you allow all
> these ports listed below out to the public internet. Then for the
> inbound side use stateful rules with 'in' and 'via' keywords
> allowing in only the ports that you have servers running on. That
> will close all those listed ports to inbound availability. If you
> have LAN behind your gateway and using ipfw with divert rule legacy
> sub-routine call to userland Natd then stateful rules do not work
> because of legacy bug in basic concept design of this process.  Use
> IPFILTER, it's stateful rules work in Nated environment and as such
> provides an much highter level of security than IPFW can provide in
> an Nated environment.  I have IPFILTER sample rule set if you are
> interested.

Thanks for the reply.  This is not a nated environment.  For the time being=
,=20
I've got DSL with a /29 network.  I'm running DNS, Mail, etc right from my=
=20
own box.  I guess my question was, what are those two services I listed? =20
Submission and hp-alrm-mgr?  Are there any ipfw rules that I SHOULD set? =20
Here's my current ruleset:

00100 1622 256612 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200    0      0 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300    0      0 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
00600 3931 501305 allow ip from any to any
65535    0      0 deny ip from any to any

This is obviously an very wide-open server right now.  I'm guessing I shoul=
d=20
add some rules like the following?

change 0600 to allow ip from any to any established
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <mail>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <ftp>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <irc1>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <irc2>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <irc3>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <ssh>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <dns>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <110>
add allow ip from any to <server ip address> port <443>
add deny ip from any to <server ip address> via dc0 port <mysql>
add deny ip from any to <server ip address>

The mysql, I assume, since the only thing accessing it should be my local w=
eb=20
server, I don't need it to have public (inet) access?

=2D-=20
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc
(612) 998-3588