Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 22:17:28 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        seva@mtelecom.ru, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is /etc/[s]pwd.db stay for?

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> > pwd_mkdb can't create [s]pwd.db files for 1000000 users.
>
> I believe we still have a limit of 65535 user ids in many places in the
> system, although uid_t is in fact u_int32_t. Or...?

	I'm not sure what you mean by "many places in the system." 4.0+ at
least does not have that limitation for system binaries, although you're
taking your life in your hands with other people's stuff.

	I have several systems with uid's over the 65535 mark, no problems at
all.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire