Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:33:32 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, hackers@freebsd.org, jmacd@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: recursive grep

> >Oh, well anyhow _SC_ARG_MAX is set at 64k which I have found exceedingly
> >low.  How do you change this anyways?
>
>    It's not easily changed without causing other problems. 64K already result
> in potentially 1MB of memory being temporarily consumed. I need to make some
> changes to kern_exec.c to add support for a resource wait when "string" space
> isn't allocateable. Right now it returns ENOMEM if more than 16 processes
> simultaneously exec. This is an extremely rare condition, but possible.

I shouldn't really be contributing much to this conversation because I
don't know the first thing about this at the kernel level, but from
the programmer level, I've noticed this limit.  On this weak old Sun
the limit is 1M for _SC_ARG_MAX.  I guess its better that I noticed
the limit because it forced me to write code for a situation I was
hoping would never arise.

-josh