Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 14:35:52 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

This question seems to belong exclusively in -chat, so I'm sending the
reply there (with Bcc to security).

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 06:45:47PM -0600, William McVey wrote:
> I'm somewhat new on the security list.  What does it take to get
> changes decided on?  Does something like this need 'general consensus
> and running code' (ala IETF), is something like this voted on, or does
> someone just go out and do it once they get convinced?

It depends on the exact case.  Anything requires running code to get
done - otherwise it is not done :-)

Otherwise, the rules are

* Anybody can commit whatever they want - but it will be backed out
  (by them or somebody else) if there is general dislike of it.  If
  somebody is difficult about backouts, they loose their commit
  privileges (this has not happened _ever_, AFAIK).
* General consensus rules all
* David Greenman is final arbiter no matter what
* Guido van Rooij is Security Officer and rules supreme in all issues
  related to security

I'm not quite sure of the hierarchy between the last three here, and I
don't think anybody else really is, either - there have AFAIK never
been an actual conflict :-)

Eivind.