Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:48:19 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Mo Po <mopo@softhome.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: atheros (ath) wifi driver problem

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 18:18 -0800, Mo Po wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 5.3 today (coming from linux/debian).
> I need to use the atheros wifi driver (man page ATH(4)), which is
> included in 5.3. (I have an atheros based PCI card in an athlon xp based
> system).
>
> I get the following error when loading the module ('kldload if_ath'
> command):
> ath0: could not map interrupt
> device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6

I've never tried to load this as a kernel module. It's probably better
to recompile the kernel with the right support. The ath driver also
requires ath_hal, which might be your problem.

You're obviously an old hand with un*x, but new to FreeBSD so in case it
helps:

#cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
#cp GENERIC MYKERNEL (or whatever name you want to use)
#vi MYKERNEL

add the lines:

     device ath
     device ath_hal

Make sure the following line is uncommented:

     device wlan

#cd /usr/src
#make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL (or whatever you called it)
#make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
#reboot

This assumes you have the sources installed.

Peter.