Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:25:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (JULIAN Elischer)
Cc:        cat@ghost.uunet.ca, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Advice/Recommendation needed

> Oh I forgot.....
>
> > someone to hang out the window if things aren't working. (Hell - someone
> > to sue, if it comes to that).
> (*)
> >
> > Free OS's are a wonderful thing - they let people use UNIX that might never
> > otherwise be able to afford to do so; they offer source so that people can
> > learn about how things work...but they don't offer a place for the buck to stop.
> (*)
> what a depressingly american attitude..

You're writing to someone at uunet.ca  :-)
				   ^^
> offered the oportunity to control your own destiny, the answer is
> "sorry I don't want the responsibility.. I'd rather be able top blame
> some-one else..

Well, that's not always the case.  Around here, the buck stops here, and
even though the answer is sometimes that I can't or won't do something about
a particular problem, I'd still rather be running FreeBSD because at least I
have a chance to be able to do something about a problem.

> unfortunatly we're seeing more and more of this elsewhere in the world too..

A new generation of computer users, with a total lack of regard for what has
been done by others, yet expect all those same great things to be handed to
them on a silver platter...

That sort of falls back to the "support" issue.  Even here at work, people
don't understand why it is when they find a bug in a GNU tool, I suggest to
them that they find and fix the problem, and submit a bug report and patch..

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968