Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:47:24 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat: A bug or just as it should be?

On Friday 19 April 2002 06:28 pm, Paul Everlund wrote:
| Jonathan Chen wrote:
| > On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 12:08:12AM +0200, Paul Everlund wrote:
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > > fw# ls -l
| > > total 2
| > > drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  512 20 Mar 01:20 home
| > > fw#
| > >
| > > Doing a 'cat *' there gives the following result
| > > (edited somewhat by me: "UUU" means an active user
| > > and "uuu" means an user who has been removed):
| > > hE?
| > >    ??.<8?
| > >          ??..· "UUU"yF?
| > >                           ??"uuu"·???"UUU"-pF?¶?
| > > "UUU"fF????"UUU"lQ-gF????"UUU"mQ-:????"UUU"^F?
| > >
| > > ??w
| > > ww¦C?h??        "UUU"-C?T??"uuu"fw#
| > >
| > > Those "uuu" users, removed ones, are in no .his-
| > > tory as there are no history file in the directory
| > > /usr/home.
| >
| > You are cat'ing the contents of the directory "home" and getting
| > binary output.
|
| Yep. But why does REMOVED directories show up? In another directory
| removed files too shows up. Is this good? I can understand that dirs
| and files that are on the HDD shows, but removed ones? Is this due
| to left behind references of some kind?

Things are as they should be.  If you put enough new files in there, they
will get overwritten but unless the file system is about to take more space
for the directory than it did before, the file system doesn't erase the
memory that contains that entries that used to be there, if you know what I
mean.

Really, though catting a directory means nothing, nothing you see you try it
means anything.  It's just a silly thing to do and it's causing needless
worry, so stop it.  :-)

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go