Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 16:03:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ICQ for Java (was: Java not happy with my machine)

To all those who are going to try the ICQ Java version, here are some hints
I worked out to get it to work:

1)  Only JDK 1.0.2 works.  I used the FreeBSD port of JDK 1.0.2.  Read the
README!.  Took me a while to realize that I needed the pdksh shell as well.  You
also need to uncompress the tarball in your favorite location.  Mine was
/usr/local/java. (I didn't try kaffe)

2) Update your .login/profile/.cshrc to point to the java stuff. Mine from
cshrc is:
setenv  CLASSPATH .:/usr/local/java/classes.zip
setenv  LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/java/lib/i386

in my .login, I added "/usr/local/java/bin" to my path string.

(if there is a better way, someone tell me!)

3) Un-tar the ICQJava where you want it.  Mine is /usr/local/ICQJava

4) Modify the ./ICQJava/install file to point to the paths in 1 & 2 above.

5) Run ./install

6) Modify ./ICQ to add "-v" before "-classpath".  This shouldn't be necessary,
but otherwise, ICQ never displayed a thing.  Annoying that you have to watch all
 the class calls, but you can run daemonized or minimize that window!  I've
reported this to Mirabilis.

It works fine for me now.  Hopefully they will upgrade it soon to allow chat.

My UIN for ICQ is 425819.

Thanks for listening!

Patrick