Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 19:31:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FEC techniques and a C implementation

If someone is interested, I have written a C implementation of an
erasure code which I believe to be reasonably flexible and efficient
for use within TCP/UDP/IP-based protocols. Typical encoding/decoding
speeds on a Pentium133 are in the 1..10 MB/s range depending on
the actual parameters.

This encoding can be used both to reduce the experienced loss rate
on unicast/multicast communications, or to build reliable multicast
applications (e.g. multi-FTP, parallel download of software, etc.)

A brief description with pointers to the source code (very short)
and a draft paper describing the implementation, its performance
and possible applications is available at the following URL:

        http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/fec.html

Comments suggestions and bug reports are welcome. Also, suggestions
for useful applications related to FreeBSD or its distribution are
sought.

	Cheers
	Luigi