Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2010 00:51:55 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_label and directories under /dev

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 06:12:39PM -0500, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
> On 03/15/2010 03:43 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
> >> So it's probably a dead end to try to suggest disallowing of '/'?
> >> Unfortunately it's not easy to fix all problems with directories. For
> >> starters devfs doesn't support removal of directories at all.
> >=20
> > I have no idea why "/" would be allowed - it isn't in regular filenames
> > so why would this be special? I wote to remove slashes.
>=20
> Please be very careful with such a change. I rely on this behaviour
> pretty heavily, to keep things hierarchically arranged. Such a change
> would break pretty much every box I run.

No worries. I agree it is useful.

File system labels are not file names and I'm happy that our devfs
support transparent directory creation, because thanks to this we can
use directory names in labels for free.

There sure are devfs bugs that  have to be fixed and not avoided by
limiting flexibility in GEOM providers names selection.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--