Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:07:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        francis yeung <fyeung@netific.com>, Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA Aironet cards... Are they NE2000 compatible?

> Hi guys,

> > > Cliff Skolnick has been kind enought to set aside some directory space
> > > for me to compile a kernel with the wavelan support in it and build
> > > a PicoBSD floppy.  I had dropped the idea with Harvie's email that the
> > > wavelan drives do not talk to the Aironet radios.  If there is interest
> > > in getting a PicoBSD distribution with Wavelan support I can go ahead.
>
> Hmmm... My knowledge of this specific type of cards is NULL, but I thought
> we already have some driver for WaveLan cards in the tree (written by Mike
> Smith???). Perhaps you're talking about some other card (the wl driver is
> for ISA cards), in which case we'd be thrilled to see your code!

The ISA Wavelan is an old animal.  It's quite likely that newer
Wavelans are completely different.  We definitely don't have the
infrastructure for 802.11 at this point in time, although it's possible
someone is working on it.

If someone wants to build a system with the ISA Wavelan code in it, I
think they're probably going to be capable of generating a PicoBSD
kernel (though there's no need to assume this).

> In any case, better submit this type of code directly to someone who knows
> the driver stuff (not me!) for review and inclusion in the source tree.
> msmith@freebsd.org is a good person to talk with about it.

If you have new driver code, or new hardware, documentation and some
programming skills, then by all means give me a yell.  Note that at the
moment I'm not available to do contract development work, sorry.