Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:40:40 +0200
From:      andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de
To:        "        -         *freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   squid caching proxy behind a firewall ...

Hi !

My machine where I want to have squid running should speed up http and ftp
access to internet for a few people because normal company proxy server
are sometimes lame.

Now the problem. Squid tries to resolve hostnames into IP addresses itself.

Since it doesn%t get the name resolution (since the box doesn%t have internet
access and isn%t allowed to do DNS queries to the "world" this doesn%t work.)

I tried several options in squid.conf, but no success.

Q: is it possible to use squid in a way, that he connects to the companies
"real proxy server"
proxy.company.com:80 (instead of you) and provides you a fast cache within the
intranet ???

Thanks for any help

 Andreas ///