Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:46:34 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Gary Corcoran <gcorcoran@rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: Overlap in PCI memory ranges (fixed)

Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> Coleman Kane wrote:
>> Also, the mem resources of the SATA controller are used for AHCI
>> (however, PATA compatibility mode is supported using the port ranges,
>> which is what the controller is forced to do). In addition, the device
>> name string on the SATA controller is only there because I've been
>> fooling with ata-chipset.c (to unsuccessfully attempt to get AHCI
>> working). Reading the MMIO registers in AHCI mode seems to produce
>
> Do you have some patches for ata(4)? I don't see in the clean
> sources where driver can allocate a memory resources for the ATI.
> As i see from your dmesg driver doesn't use AHCI.
The PCI code doesn't care if the ata driver uses the mem ranges or not.
If the PCI device registers that it owns those mem ranges, then the PCI
code will automatically reserve them (and assign them to the driver anyway).

The card is an AHCI-compliant card, however the traditional IDE port
ranges are still functional, allowing the device to pretend to
incompatible OSes that it's just a dumb old PCI IDE Controller.

>> situation (a single port SATA controller on a laptop). This is supposed
>> to read a bitmap of the enabled ports on the SATA controller.
>
> Please, show your `pciconf -l`. And if you have some patches, show
> their.

I have fixed this problem finally. It is a cheap and dirty hack, but it
works. The link is here:
http://www.cokane.org/dokuwiki/freebsd/amd64_compatibility#getting_the_hp_compaq_6715b_working

Scroll down to the "HDA Audio Controller" and the "Serial ATA
Controller" sections for clarification of what was causing the problem
and what I had to do to solve it. Maybe there is a better way to do this
on FreeBSD but I have not found it.

--
Coleman Kane