Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:07:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> >IMHO, the base utilities that use <ctype.h> should properly initialize
> >the locale instead of relying on that hack.  (The hack is useful to
> >force programs that don't like to handle locale's, but base utilities
> >of the system are expected to do it right theirselves.)
>
> I have nothing against reverting this variable to
> DISABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE f.e. If you remember I plan to make startup locale
> as default for all program, but some peoples disagree, so I introduce
> ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE.

I also thing that the crt0 is the *wrong* place to do the locale work,
which really belongs as a call in main().

It is wrong to "fix" broken use of a programming model by causing
broken use of the startup model in it's place.

Making this broken startup code implicit rather than explicit (by changing
from a positive to a negative environment test) is just plain wrong.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.