Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 96 00:53 PDT
From:      pete@pelican.altadena.net (Pete Carah)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'less' on remote machine in an xterm

In article <199604210030.SAA01311@obie.softweyr.com> you write:

>Steve Reid writes:
> > When I login to the machines that I admin (using ssh) and use less to
> > view a file, it works fine in a text-mode screen. But, when I do this
> > from an xterm, and try to scroll up in less, only the top line changes. I
> > have to ctrl-L often to update the screen. Very annoying.
> >
> > Any fix for this little problem? Maybe an xterm switch? DISPLAY variable
> > setting? Xterm patch?
>
>Probably one of two things: your $TERM is set to something other than
>"xterm", or the remote machine has an incorrect picture of your xterm
>geometry.  If the remote machine is running HP-UX, you must export the
>variable LINES with the number of lines on your screen, the HP-UX
>termcap doesn't grok tty geometry settings.

The same applies to SGI but Solaris likes stty rows= instead.  Even svr4
systems aren't quite consistent (admittedly both of those and HP are
highly modified svr4's..)

SGI and Solaris default xterm to different window sizes, too...

For those on Sun's using CDE, you can use infocmp to get a dtterm termcap
but xterm *does* work...  Unfortunately I've wiped out my dtterm entry
twice now doing make world to get the -stable improvements...
Freebsd's termcap handles dtterms and sgi winterm (iris-ansi-net) just
fine using infocmp-generated termcaps in direct connections; I sometimes
have problems with xterms calling into fbsd boxes with 'cu'...   (parity
sometimes gets set in the middle of a session; elm+vi will often do
this.  Both 'stty' and 'logout' contain odd-parity bytes so you're pretty
well hosed once this happens...  (well, I could alias some single letter
to 'stty istrip', I guess, if I do it before the parity gets set..)  Still
wonder what causes this problem.

-- Pete