Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:25:00 +0100
From:      Gaute Gullesen <crazy-b@netcom.no>
To:        David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] cordless keyboards

On Wednesday, March 07, 2001, 3:05:49 AM, David Talkington wrote:
> My apologies for the OT.  After spotting a Logitech cordless keyboard
> in use in one department that I maintain, I scoured the web looking
> for information about the possibility of interception of its signals.
> I've found nothing.

> Does anyone know how difficult it might be to sniff one of these
> devices?  Logitech marketing info claims that it's "digitally secure",
> but without third-party information to back this up, my innately
> paranoid nature remains cautious, given its 6-10 foot range (more than
> enough to span cubicles or even apartments).

still   off  topic, but maybe a good reminder, when we're getting into
"that"  secure  systems.  not  only  equipment  designed to emit radio
signals  do  so.  all  your other gear cause electromagnetic radiation
aswell.   monitor  images, serial transmissions, etc. can be picked up
from a distance.

my  point:  if  your  workers  are  inclined  to  sniff  that wireless
keyboard,  you should know it doesnt take much more work, and not much
more  sophisticated equipment to sniff a regular keyboard. i've tested
that myself.

- crazy-b