Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ide win\scsi bsd dual boot

I have been told that this is difficult to do. I have a few questions
here. An answer to any one of them would put me closer to understanding
how I can work through this problem.

I have a full installation of FreeBSD sitting on my brand new SCSI Hawk
on my brand new 2940UW. I have tried everything that does not work to
get the SCSI to be the boot disc. What haven't I tried? :( (sic)

None of the boot managers that I have tried can find the scsi. (System
Commander 3.04, OSBS 1.35, OSBS2beta8, EXTIPL, GRUB) I have yet to try
PartitionMagic as I can't find a trial version. (How do you spell
warez?)

I have no problem using the disc as a storage device under BSD. It is
quite zippy! I am amazed that FreeBSD finds my SCSI stuff where nothing
else can. (boot manglers or winblows)

I tried disabling all IDE drives in CMOS to force the scsi to boot. No
go.

My CMOS is completely silent regarding anything to do with SCSI. (Award
BIOS v4.5)

To heck with dual boot. How might I get _just_ my SCSI drive to boot? I
am new to this whole SCSI thing. Perhaps there is something trivial that
I am missing? I would have thought that disabling IDE in the CMOS would
make the SCSI the boot disc. Nope.

I used to think that since SCSI cards had their own bios that they were
easier to set up.

The drive is attached to a cable that has three connectors. The drive is
attached to the second connector as you count them from the host adapter
end to the free end. The termination jumper is set on the drive itself.

Also, during boot the 2940UW never gives me a "Hit Ctrl-A for SCSI
Select" that I have read about. Does this tell me anything?

Also, during boot one can explicitly tell BSD where to boot from. I
normally boot 0:wd(0,a)kernel. My new disc should boot something like
$NUMBER:sd(0,a)kernel. How do I find $NUMBER for a SCSI disk?

Yes, there is a kernel on the / of sd0.

I have tried $NUMBERS: 0,1,2,7. 2 was tried because it was next after 1.
I got a really cool error scrolling on my screen. I tried 7 because it
is the LUN of the host adapter. I got the same cool error.

If I have to, I might just put a 30MB / partition on the IDE drive and
mount /usr and /var on the SCSI. I had hoped to completely move FreeBSD
to the SCSI.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this long message.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html