Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:38:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
To:        thallgren@yahoo.com (Tommy Hallgren)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers Mail List)
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

As the well known Tommy Hallgren said...
->--- Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR> wrote:
->> 	I think it would be better to hack such window manager (this
->> 	would let the users choose their icons if they want, and that
->> 	should be (I think) a better solution.
->
->You are confusing a window manager and a filsystem browser/desktop. A window
->manager is NOT a desktop.

	Of course. But I speak about the new wave of WMs. Those things, named
	E, Window Maker and so on, have some desktop functionnalities that are
	incorporated with the wm (such as icon-based quick app launcher and so
	on - could you say me that a qal is a needed part of a wm ?).

	Plus : they (the wms) have a bunch of config file that any application
	could read (such as the themes files, or, more easily (for example in
	Window Maker), the iconsets files).

	So I really think that it is better to hack the wm - or, if you
	prefer, to create gnome/whatever proggies to handle this - than to
	hack the fbsd kernel.

	Yours,
->
->Regards, Tommy
->
->===
->Regards, Tommy Hallgren
->Briljantg. 31, SE-421 49, Göteborg
->Tel.: 031 - 770 5232 (Work: Telia Prosoft)
->Tel.: 0709 - 312 404 (GSM)
->Tel.: 031 - 47 65 28 (Home)
->