Date:      Tue, 08 May 2007 02:31:23 +0100
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom MIPS progress

Issues with CFE console and memory detection have now been ironed out.
The mips2 branch prefers the use of CFE firmware routines to performing
board-level resets in undocumented ways. "call cpu_reset" works; the
low-level system console uses CFE.

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:

> I will most likely try porting the SiliconBackplane bus enumeration
> that's in bleeding-edge brcm support for Linux 2.6, which is much
> cleaner than the Broadcom code floating around, not to mention closer
> to NEWBUS in architecture.

This may happen later in the week. I had problems teaching mips nexus to
allocate global memory map space for hard-wired children (siba0).
Tommorrow I'll focus on getting the enumeration working so that the
cores on the Sentry5 siba backplane may be detected and configured.

The most important cores are the Chipcommon core, the PCI host bridge,
and the bcm44xx ethernet controller core. I believe the IPSEC core in
Sentry5 is ubsec(4) compatible. However these devices default to
presenting their register space on Siba, not PCI.

There is a flash controller on Siba. For now, I am focusing on bringup;
FreeBSD currently boots on these systems via TFTP ELF load. A tweak is
needed for the linker script, to work around limitations in the CFE ELF
loader, which I'd like to conditionalize on the presence of 'options
CFE' in the kernel config file - any ideas?

Thanks to Warner for helping out on the NEWBUS issues.

Regards,
BMS