Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 15:06:00 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@327.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advice needed: simple markup packages for XEmacs

I am looking for a good way to produce manuscripts for submission to
publishers. My requirements are very simple:

         12pt. courier
         double-spaced
         1" margins
         header with page number
         output to postscript
         no hyphenation
         no left/right page orientation
         no widow/orphan control
         no graphics, equations
         no indexing
         no character formatting

There's a bit more, but you probably get the idea.

I'd like to use XEmacs to edit the manuscript. WYSIWYG is not an issue and
although I'm a humble amateur, I've used XEmacs for years and really like
its editing power.

Given that my requirements will probably never change, I've been looking at
a couple of markup approaches: groff and LaTeX.

1. Are there others I should consider? I'm not looking for packages that
aren't widely used and likely to be around for a millenia or two. ;-)

2. Any groff vs. LaTeX observations on the ease of doing this kind of
markup?

Thanks.

M.
--