Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:00:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Woodford <woodford@cc181716-a.hwrd1.md.home.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, William McVey wrote:

| Bill Woodford wrote:
| >I think this is a good idea.  The change in perms didnt seem to affect
| >anything else in a bad way, and it got rid of a setuid.  Andre, thanks
| >for posting it!
|
| Did this work for you?  Can you actually "break" your xlock?  It
| didn't work for me when I did it originally because getpwnam, which

Ah geez.  Sorry guys.  I thought it was working, but I had an older version of
xlock in my path.  When I ran the proper xlock with the permissions, I couldnt
break the xlock.

| is what xlock apparently calls, only returns the shadow'ed encrypted
| password entry if geteuid() returns 0 (at least this is how FreeBSD
| 2.2.5 is does it (my 3.0 machine is suffering from hardware problems
| right now).  I posted a proposed "fix" for this, which no-one has
| really commented on.

Post it again, please :)  I missed it.

--
Bill Woodford * woodford@cc181716-a.hwrd1.md.home.com * ICQ:14076169
  Volunteer Coordinator, Otakon 99: Convention of Otaku Generation