Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:43:39 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying hangs with mini-PCI 802.11b card on stable

Werner,

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it in the near future, but
I have not written any driver code for FreeBSD. In fact, the last real
driver writing I did was on VMS mumble-mumble years ago, probably
when you were at TWG. But I'd like to give it a try.

While it's a kludge for my problem, I think it's a very desirable
feature for maximizing battery life and I think should be settable
with ifconfig and/or wicontrol. I would think that an 'ifconfig wi0
down' should disable the radio. That would make it fit neatly into
many scripts for mobile setup. Do you think that this would be
reasonable?

What I'd REALLY like is to get an idea of WHY systems are locking
up. I only have had the problem in Stable since about early November,
so I m going to scan through the CVS logs for that time and see if I
can find anything.

A non-associated 802.11b source should not cause the system to break.
I am absolutely sure that it is not associated because I run with WEP
at home and the AP at work is certainly not using the same key. (No,
turning WEP off does not fix anything, but I suspect the AP at work
DOES use WEP.) If the system didn't wedge, I'd use the dstumbler to
see what is out there. :-(

The system works fine when not in the presence of an 802.11b signal
and works fine when one or more APs are available. To get it to run,
I've had to build a kernel without wi.

When the problem strikes, it pretty much locks up the system. About
the only thing I can do is the 3 finger salute to reboot. Occasionally,
even that has not worked.

And all of this is a second priority to getting Current to talk to a
pccard on my old 600E so I can work on my ports. I am sure one needs
fixing for 5.0 and suspect that the other one does, too. I have fix
for the broken one, but need to do proper testing and that is about
impossible when I have to load everything from CD.

Well, I'm rambling.

If you have time to throw some code my way:
# pciconf -l
agp0@pci0:0:0:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x1a308086 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
pcib1@pci0:1:0:	class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x1a318086 rev=0x04 hdr=0x01
uhci0@pci0:29:0:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x02201014 chip=0x24828086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
uhci1@pci0:29:1:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x02201014 chip=0x24848086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
uhci2@pci0:29:2:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x02201014 chip=0x24878086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
pcib2@pci0:30:0:	class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x24488086 rev=0x42 hdr=0x01
isab0@pci0:31:0:	class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x248c8086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
atapci0@pci0:31:1:	class=0x01018a card=0x02201014 chip=0x248a8086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
ichsmb0@pci0:31:3:	class=0x0c0500 card=0x02201014 chip=0x24838086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
pcm0@pci0:31:5:	class=0x040100 card=0x05081014 chip=0x24858086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
none0@pci0:31:6:	class=0x070300 card=0x051a1014 chip=0x24868086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
drm0@pci1:0:0:	class=0x030000 card=0x05171014 chip=0x4c571002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
pcic0@pci2:0:0:	class=0x060700 card=0x05121014 chip=0xac55104c rev=0x01 hdr=0x02
pcic1@pci2:0:1:	class=0x060700 card=0x05121014 chip=0xac55104c rev=0x01 hdr=0x02
--->wi0@pci2:2:0:	class=0x028000 card=0x25138086 chip=0x38731260 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
fxp0@pci2:8:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x02091014 chip=0x10318086 rev=0x42 hdr=0x00

I won't be bothered if you don't get around to it.

Thanks,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)