Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:45:49 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [REVIEW] Adding labels to chapters for xref

On Thursday, August 15, 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> I have been writing soem stuff on newbus' for the Developer-Handbook,
> and came across a little problem; when <xref linkend="chapid"> is used,
> we get "Chapter N" in the output.  So, I thought I (quick) fix this
> problem, by adding 'xreflabel' attributes to all the chapters.
>
> We can refer to the chapters, much more sensibly this way IMHO.  The
> delta for the developers-handbook is attached with this mail, and it is
> also available at: http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/work/xreflabels.patch

   Do we want to refer to chapters by title rather than by than
number?  This could cause problems in the print versions.  If we
do, I think that a more sensible way to go about doing this is to
modify the stylesheet to generate the xreflabels from the
contents of <title>.

> NOTE: I have not tried to test this patch; although my eyes could not
> find any problems with it.  One reason for this is, my doc toolchain is
> seriously broken, and to build developers-handbook, IT TAKES AGES on a
> slow p166 box.

   `make lint' is your friend.

--
Chris Costello                                <chris@FreeBSD.org>