Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 01:03:49 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Date: Tue 25 Jun, 1996
> Subject: Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> > 	$ cd /tmp
> > 	$ cvs co cat
> > 	$ cd cat
> > 	$ make		# builds in ".", OK
> > 	$ make clean
> > 	$ mkdir obj
> > 	$ make		# still builds in ".", not OK
>
> WRONG.  This is not how it works now!  I don't know what this weird
> fixation people have with trampling on /usr/src now is,

What's this weird fixation one person has about sources not being built
where they always have been.  :-(

(By the way, that reference to `/usr/src' should have been to `.', since
modulo bugs there is nothing special about /usr/src.)

I, too, expect the behaviour described by Bruce, and much prefer make(1)
having hooks for doing things I tell it to than assuming knowledge of
a /usr/obj heirarchy which was previously purely convention (and the
whole obj directory thing was optional modulo a few bugs).

This will certainly confuse anyone who has to deal with both FreeBSD
and any other 4.4BSD-derived system.

>                    Don't be fooled by the `objlink' stuff as that's
> only user convenience - the make system does *not* follow the link!

Oh, so I have to add some confusing redundancy to my system now to get
anywhere near the behaviour I'm used to...  :-(

> > 	$ make		# now builds in /usr/obj/tmp/cat :-(
>
> Exactly!  That's correct.

Not if I didn't tell it to.

> Sorry Bruce, but there's nothing broken here except your expectation
> that everything should be still broken in the ways it was broken
> before! :-)

It wasn't broken (much).

By the way, there may have been bugs in the original code preventing it, but
what's *now* the proper method of having simultaneous obj.i386 and obj.sparc
(say) symlinks in `.' (so that `ls obj.*/.' works, among other things).

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine at Home <mailto:mv@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~mv/>;