Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:16:20 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, henrik@gulbra.net, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com, freebsd-bugbusters@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB issues (not just Re: PR backlog)

=D1=87=D0=B5=D1=82=D0=B2=D0=B5=D1=80 27 =D0=B3=D1=80=D1=83=D0=B4=D0=B5=D0=
=BD=D1=8C 2007 10:52 =D0=B4=D0=BE, M. Warner Losh =D0=92=D0=B8 =D0=BD=D0=B0=
=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB=D0=B8:
> Usually that's called a maintainer, but we haven't had a real one in a
> long time.  Or even a fake one.

Well, you responded to me earlier suggesting, I take it upon myself to merg=
e=20
USB-advancements from 7.x to 6.x. That implied, somebody did something for=
=20
7.x, did not it? Can that body (whoever they are) not put on the vacant=20
USB-maintainer hat and push the fixes/improvements into 6.x (preferably --=
=20
before the 6.3 is released unto the world)? If not that same person, then,=
=20
maybe, the people, whom you mention below as "looking at Hans' new stack",=
=20
can do the merging?

> : There is talk about a "whole new" USB reimplementation, and somebody is
> : working in the Perforce nirvana-land on it. Maybe, that work needs a
> : closer look by other experts so as to bring it to the FreeBSD masses
> : faster...

> Now you are being insulting here. =C2=A0There are people looking at Hans'
> new stack, and have identified a few issues with it. =C2=A0Hans' is worki=
ng
> on the issues identified, and even provides snapshots from time to
> time for people to try.

I sure hope, you were joking about the "insulting" part. I don't see anythi=
ng=20
in my words, that's in any way disparaging or insulting. What troubles me,=
=20
however, is that this new work is being done in that ivory tower called=20
"perforce". Nothing against that particular revision-control system, but th=
e =20
=46reeBSD work "in perforce" in the past tended to take /years/ to be merge=
d=20
into the project's official repository -- CVS. Probably, because the actual=
=20
development is far more thrilling, than the mundane merging from on=20
repository to another...

But if somebody is, indeed, working on a new USB stack, that's terrific new=
s.=20
It also implies, we might get a USB-maintainer some time soon. I just want =
it=20
soon/er/, because it has been far too long already...

I am with FreeBSD since early ninetees (and don't need refreshers on how we=
=20
are a volunteer project). But I can't remember another case of a subsystem=
=20
being so broken for so long -- through so many releases.

 -mi