Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 07:04:22 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Client option -- didn't take

Mike Smith wrote:

> >From the oct 7'th beta, selecting NFS client during the installation
> > didn't "take" in rc.conf.
> >
> > BTW, why is install modifying rc.conf instead of just writing the
> > changes into rc.conf.local?
>
> Because rc.conf.local violates the entire purpose of rc.conf.  The
> default values for the variables in rc.conf are implicit in the rc.*
> scripts; rc.conf is where you overried these defaults as you wish.
>
> mike

There are a few problems with sysinstall and rc.conf though.  I recently
made a change using sysinstall (enabled NFS client & server) and all the
lines in rc.conf had their comment appended again after the orignal
comment and a double quotes i.e.

nfs_client="NO"		# enable nfs client

became

nfs_client="NO"		# enable nfs client"	enable nfs client

I tend not to use sysinstall now and always edit rc.conf by hand.

regards
damian

--
*    Damian Hamill   M.D.       damian@cablenet.net