Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:41:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      <mac@nibsc.ac.uk>
To:        tonyc@compnews.co.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Contura 486 laptop

>Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:24:50 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
>To: Tony Clark <tonyc@compnews.co.uk>
>cc: questions@FreeBSD.org
>Subject: Re: Compaq Contura 486 laptop

[FreeBSD on laptop ? ]

>OK.  Our experience with FreeBSD on laptops is that it sucks battery like
>anything.  You can't spin down the hard disk to save power, otherwise
>the system goes nuts. :(  We have a 500mb disk split with a DOS partition
>and use that for extended usage.

I have had 2.2-960323-SNAP on a HP OmniBook 4000CT for 4 days now, and (once
XF86config hacked) it runs quite nicely thank you.  On the odd ocasion when the
disk has spun down FreeBSD just seem to pause politely whilst it spins back up
again.  I haven't actually tried that under X yet, but I see no reason for that
to barf either.  Suspend to disk mode is much more unhappy.  O/S comes back
fine, runs a treat.  3C589 card barfs all over the place though (kernel
panics), so I can't recommend that.

The battery on this one (NiMH) lasts 1.5 -> 2 hrs, and that's with all powere
management features disabled.

>I think you meant 2.1.  :)

I hope he did

>We use a 3COM 3c589 Ethernet card and a Megahertz 14.4 modem on ours (a
>Dell Latitude LX).

3C589 card here too.  Determining the settings was tricky as I didn't use the
PC-Card auto-support for the cards, and had to get the static config off the
card.  Basically did an 'F5' boot of DOS and ran the 3C589 install prog to get
the settings, stuff those into the kernel (Boot: -c).  I use BNC, so a quick
'-link0 link1' needed on the ifconfig zp0 line)

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk

                 mac@nibsc.ac.uk  (also postmaster)
 Work: 01707 654753 x 285               Everything else: 0956 237670 (any time)