Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 15:19:13 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Tony Li <tli@jnx.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as T1 router

At 11:34 AM 1/6/97 -0800, you wrote:

>   "Everyone" uses Cisco and "the net" sucks, so what does that tell you?
>
>a) That the backbones are bandwidth constrained.
>b) That there's no credible alternative for a high end box (yet).
>c) That there are some unresolved problems with cisco's high end box
>   implementations.
>d) That Dennis is still slinging mud instead of facts.

For 1, these are "Facts"....every time there is a problem at my upstream
provider it is some issue with their Cisco router. That, is a FACT.

Fact 2 is that its not even being used as a high-end box (an HSSI
running only 4Mbs, a couple of T1s and a couple of ethernets)...a
configuration achievable with a FreeBSD box for about 1/10th the
price.

My "point" was that there is no such thing as a magic box....there are
problems/advantages/disadvantages to all products. Those that think
if they buy Cisco or Ascend that they wont have any problems are
misinformed.

Dennis
Dennis