Date:      16 May 1996 22:59:43 -0500
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, "Nate Williams" <nate@sri.MT.net>
Subject:   Re(2): Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

> Not true.  If you have direct access to freefall (developers only), you can
use (4-sup) to get "up to the minute" copies of the CVS tree.

If YOU can get "up to the minute" updates via sup, it is only because you fall
in my category (1). My proposal does not affect a sup server that does not
provide synchronous snapshots.

> > The Proposal.
> >    Since all the reasonable distribution mechanisms are based upon server
initiated snapshots

> Since your assumptions are invalid for one of the two most common
> distribution method, the rest of the proposal is not completely valid.

Since those who have the direct access are not really inhibited by this
proposal, I suggest that you reconsider it in view of the other 99.99% of the
folks for whom my assumptions apply.

I hope there is somebody out there who cares about the difficulties of the
"average joe" and doesn't simply brush off those problems because they are a
member of the elite class who get to play by their own rules.

--

...computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh
only 1/2 tons.      --  Popular Mechanics, March 1949