Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:31:36 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> > It would appear that we actually have low-density and high-density cards;
> > can we support both, or do we need seperate boot-decks?
>
> Folks, folks, this is clearly a case where an amalgam of both old and
> new technologies is required.  Consider the challenges solved by TCP.
> Lots of packets arriving potentially out of sequence (or not at all)
> reassembled into a coherent data stream.  Much like the idea of
> multiple cards arriving one at a time into a hopper, yes?

Hmm, we may have some network card order issues to deal with here (overturned
and reversed cards should be handled correctly, as well as card reassembly
for fragmented cards that have been resized to fit a particular delivery
method - ref the Avian Carriers RFC &c)

> So all we need is to establish sequence numbers for cards, and maybe a
> time to live field?  Is it too late to get this into IPv6?

Hmm, time-to-live?  I presume this is what the silverfish register is for?
We need to consider card-level encryption, and possibly DRS (or similar)
error correction to handle damaged cards (possibly as a result of data
lost due to card fragmentation as above).

> 					Jordan

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[