Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 17:07:09 -0400
From:      Barry Kirchgessner <barrykk@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie can't get past "boot:" prompt on new machine

I have received a reply that points out that the NIC I'm using, the
DFE-530TX+, is not currently supported. It is listed as supported on the
OpenBSD compatibility list, as is my SCSI card and Promise Ultra100
controller. So I will give that OS a shot; though, while I'm waiting for
their CD I'll try to install Linux on this machine, as I have to get
some housekeeping done -- the machine I'm using to write this is failing
and I want to get its data onto the new machine ASAP.

Sorry for any efforts expended in puzzling over my problem, but I've now
decided (after several more attempts and getting the news about the NIC)
to put off trying to install FreeBSD until all my hardware is fully
supported. (I thought I had done that, but apparently confused myself
over the various compatibility lists I had been investigating. And the
DFE-530TX *is* mentioned on the latest FreeBSD list -- I missed that the
"+" was missing.)

Again, thank you for any efforts; I'll likely be back -- skimming
through the mailing list I see a much better speed and thoroughness of
support than is generally available with commercial OSs. And I'm not
even seeing any private responses (such as I received) to the various
questions.

   --Barry