Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:12:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shane Adams <adamsch1@yahoo.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A beginner project

I've thought about geom snapshots, which I take it you would do at a block =
layer similarly to how snapshots are implemented in FFS.  I couldnt figure =
out a way to do it effeciently.  I've found the FFS snapshots do not work w=
ell with large disk sets, there is a noticable lag and almost a freeze-up o=
n my computer.  =0A=0ASeems you'd need to do it at the filesystem layer, an=
d as a side effect change the format of inodes at cylinder groups in order =
to track changes.=0A=0AIs there any publish literature on the subject?=0A=
=0AOh - by snapshot I mean something that can be mounted simlultaniously wi=
th the original filesystem.=0A=0ACheers,=0A  Shane=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A----- Orig=
inal Message ----=0AFrom: Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>=0ATo: Soere=
n Straarup <xride@x12.dk>=0ACc: freebsd-geom@freebsd.org=0ASent: Sunday, Ja=
nuary 21, 2007 10:16:22 PM=0ASubject: Re: A beginner project=0A=0AOn 01/20/=
07 01:31, Soeren Straarup wrote:=0A> What would be a beignner project withi=
n geom?=0A> =0A> Something is acutally going to be used by atleat some.=0A>=
 =0A> I have briefly looked at:=0A> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/#=
p-psched=0A> =0A> But are there already someone out there that is working o=
n it?=0A> =0A> /Soeren=0A> =0A=0AMake a 'geom taste' function?=0A=0AOther i=
deas:=0A- geom snapshots (harder!)=0A- gnop additional options (add latency=
, etc, to mimic real devices)=0A=0A=0AEric=0A=0A=0A=0A-- =0A---------------=