Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:51:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Helge Oldach <send-pr@oldach.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/36841: use of .MAKEFLAGS target in Makefile.local does not work any more

>Number:         36841
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       use of .MAKEFLAGS target in Makefile.local does not work any more
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD sep.oldach.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Tue Mar 19 20:26:01 CET 2002 toor@sep.oldach.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

In a couple of /usr/ports/some/where directories on my system I have a
Makefile.local containing a line

	.MAKEFLAGS: -DBATCH

This provides global make(1) flags to the port and avoids the need to
define the BATCH variable on the make command line, so that I can just
build the port unattended.

This is broken since about beginning of March. I did some make(1)
debugging with -dl and -dv and it appears that Makefile.local is
included and MAKEFLAGS gets properly amended, but when it comes to
configuring the port, it still doesn't work. BATCH is ignored by
bsd.ports.mk it seems.

Note that just using

	BATCH=1

in Makefile.local does not work as well, but that didn't work in the
past either.

>How-To-Repeat:

For example:

	cd /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-afpl
	echo .MAKEFLAGS: -DBATCH >Makefile.local
	make

and you will get prompted for a configuration menu, which won't appear
with just

	make -DBATCH