Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 97 23:25:13 -0500
From:      David Jokinen <gz@interlink.net>
To:        <gljohnsn@iamerica.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RealAudio on FreeBSD 2.2

Glenn Johnson wrote:
>Does anyone have RealAudio 3.0 working for FreeBSD 2.2? The version
>available from Progressive Networks is for FreeBSD 2.1 and it does not
>seem to work for my 2.2Gamma system. I tried both the dynamically and
>statically linked versions. I have not tried the Linux versions yet.
>Maybe that would work until they provide a version for 2.2?

I'm not exactly the same configuration, but FWIW I've got the
dynamically-linked version of RealMedia Server 4.0b1 running on FreeBSD
2.1.7 stable. I believe the 4.0b1 server *is* available specifically for
FreeBSD 2.2, so you might consider going with that release instead.

BTW, mine installed first try and runs like a demon, literally. I'm a
MacHead with no UNIX experience at all, but I came back from the
RealMedia conference with everyone's glowing praise about the Linux and
FreeBSD versions ringing in my ears, plus I was having such headaches
with the Mac OS and Windows NT versions, so I thought I'd bite the
bullet. After getting FreeBSD up and running from zero within three
hours, I'm wondering why I waited so long. Plus I get Lynx, the world's
fastest web browser, to boot! ;)

--David Jokinen, Technical Director, Stylus Inc.