Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 16:30:43 -0400
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jaz really work?

At 12:50 PM 8/27/96 -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

>I could've sworn I saw somebody say on this list that the IOMEGA Jaz drive
>drops right in and goes.

Well, yes.  Once you have disabled the write protection of the Jazz drive,
I assume that you are using the tools cartdrige?  You need to do their
software install and run reclaim to delete the mac or pc "partition" and
un-write protect it.  This is a iomega "software" protection built into
the drive.

>So I went and bought one.

I love mine, fast, quiet, .... maybe I'll just get 6 more and eliminate all
my drives :)

>I can't get it to work.  It always says the drive is write protected.
>There's numerous errors about mode sense (4), and some other goop.

No problem with mode sense, it just isn't reporting a valid disk
geometry, but should still work fine since it correctly reports
the valid number of sectors.  I've used mine on 2.1, 2.1.5, 2.2-Current
and 8-XX SNAP.

It is just another scsi drive, although you want it
as a higher scsi ID than your CDROM during installation b/c otherwise
during package or ports install, the system tried to mount that as the
cdrom to install from.

I'm assuming that FBSD tries using the first removable device as the CDROM from
sysinstall?

>P6-200, Adaptec 2940, -current as of 8/26, 2 4GB Barracuda, 1 Fuji 4GB
>disk, Toshiba CDROM, JAZ drive.

Will trade with you :)

-Ken
---
Ken Lam                                                   lam@awod.com
Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"