Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:45:10 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: All-in-one Server

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Martin Sol=C4=8Diansky <
martin.solciansky@solko.sk> wrote:

> You could try zimbra for all-in-one-email-solution instead of Citadel or
> Horde+, that would solve most of the problems as it integrates all the bi=
ts
> you need into a one working opensource bundle.
>
> Zimbra OSS doesn't include the Outlook Connector.  You need the Network
Edition for that, which is only available for Linux systems.

The FreeBSD port of Zimbra OSS is also very experimental and not recommende=
for production use.

For a setup like Odhiambo wants, I'd recommend two boxes:
  firewall  (FreeBSD or OpenBSD)
  groupware server  (Linux)

For the groupware server, I've tested the following:
  citadel
  opengroupware
  phpgroupware
  egroupware
  zimbra
  kolab
  icewarp
  merak

Citadel is more of a BBS than a real groupware solution, and is geared more
toward online discussions and forums and whatnot.  It's very similar to
FirstClass (which is a horrible product, avoid at all costs).

Open/PHP/eGroupware were okay, but they didn't really fulfill all our needs
at the time.

IceWarp and Merak left a sour taste in my mouth, and have some very strange
configuration methods.

Kolab was very nice, but uses the OpenPackage format and wants to install
everything under /opt and use all of it's own services, requiring you to
disable the OS-provided services (SMTP, web, etc).  If you use Kontact (KDE
PIM), it's the best one to use.  It has an Outlook connector, and provides
pretty much everything Exchange does.  At the time we tested it, there was
no web-based client, so we didn't go with it.

Zimbra is the best of the bunch, IMO/IME.  The paid edition includes
Blackberry sync support, ActiveSync support, and Outlook connector, along
with more robust shared features.  You can extend the functionality using
Zimlets (JavaScript plugins).  And the web interface is top-notch.  However=
,
you really need to install this on a 64-bit Linux server with lots of RAM.

There's also the OpenXchange server, but I've never tried it, and don't kno=
much about it.

IOW, you pretty much need to run a Linux server if you want a stable
groupware setup, without having to manage all the individual pieces.

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com