Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 23:45:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nodump flag

In the hope of being able to dump a large filesystem in CD-size pieces,
I tried setting the nodump flag on most of the top-level directories.
The resulting dump file was much larger than I expected - about 600MB
when du shows 400MB (the whole filesystem is about 9GB).

So I tried marking all but an *empty* directory as nodump.  The
resulting dump file was 200MB!  restore -i shows only the expected
empty directory.  restore -r produces zillions of messages like

 expected next file 2539521, got 1390370

What is dump doing?  Is it writing something for every inode even
though it's only dumping part of the filesystem?

-- Richard