Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:24:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@dimension.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, drosih@rpi.edu, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Projects to improve security (related to C)

Brett Glass writes:
> At 08:51 PM 7/20/98 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >Audit.  Audit audit audit.
>
> More like audit, audit, audit, audit, audit, audit, audit.... Ad
> infinitum. Ad nauseam. Unreliably. Missing all sorts of holes and
> bugs. It's not only tedious -- it also doesn't work.
>
> Again, quality and security shouldn't be tested in. Or audited in
> (which is worse, because it misses much more than a mechanical
> test).

Hello?!  Earth to Brett?  Have we met?

While what you're saying looks good on paper, I am reminded of a
quote I saw while in college:

	"In theory, there's no difference between theory and
	 practice, but in practice there is."

So in theory, it would be nice if everyone would design security in
to what they write (even if they are writing it for free, in their
spare time, because they enjoy it, not because they want you to use
it for mission-critical systems).  In theory, programming languages
would make it difficult if not impossible for you to shoot yourself
in the foot.  In theory, mistakes can be avoided if we're careful
enough.  In theory, if we're not satisfied with the quality of a
piece of code (e.g., qpopper) there should be someone willing to
drop everything he is doing to write a replacement.

Here in the real world, however, a slightly different set of rules
apply.  C lets you shoot yourself in the foot with remarkable ease.
Nonetheless, we use operating systems written in C.  We depend upon
applications written in C.  There are millions and millions of
lines of existing C code, and NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND is going
to recode all of it in another language in the fruitless hope that
it will eliminate security flaws.  (Never mind the fact that this
*wouldn't* fix many of them anyway).  Here in the real world,
practicality reigns.  We have a limited number of very devoted
volunteers who bust their ass to give us a remarkably secure and
stable operating system.  Others do a tremendous amount of work to
give us ported applications, so that we end users can just concentrate
on *using* the system for our own purposes.

If you really care about this, then step down off the soapbox, take
off the rose-colored glasses, and help fix what's broken.  Preaching
to the choir is not going to get anything done.

--Jeff